Building Tomorrow’s Builders Guidance and Counseling
As seasoned and experienced educationalist, IFAKO INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL places a high premium on guidance and counseling Unit which exists to guide students in choosing a career and leading a moral life. The essence is to make our pupils/ students asset to the society after passing through the school.
This unit of the school serves a vital role in maximizing students’ achievement, incorporating leadership, advocacy and collaboration. The unit promotes equality and access to opportunities and rigorous educational experiences for all students. The guidance and counseling unit supports a safe learning environment and work to safeguard the human right of all members of the school community.
This unit collaborates with other stakeholders to promote students’ achievement, and also addresses the needs of all students through prevention and intervention programs that are part of a comprehensive school counselling programme.
The major roles played by this unit are enumerated below:
- Academic advisor to the students i.e. counseling in the areas of academic challenges.
- Career preparation regarding education and employment option after secondary school.
- Organizing career fairs and internship, which we refer to as work experience for SS2 students.
- This is an avenue by which we expose our students to the world of work to have an idea about their future profession and how to prepare better to achieve the desired goal.
- Assist to develop and increase self-understanding and comprehension of the relationship between ability, interest, personality, achievement and opportunity.
- Help to develop wholesome attitude in student i.e. feeling of adequacy and self-acceptance and the courage to function in the task of life. Support parents to develop realistic views about their children’s development in relation to their potentials.
- Maintain and distribute information on guidance related topics through boys and girls fora.
- Assist staff in identifying students that require programming adaptations.
- Assist in mediating and conflict resolution in the school.
- Help instill good discipline in the school.
- Help as a social worker to seek and identify home based problems that may negatively impact the academic and social development of students.
- Placement of students in the right/appropriate classes. Coordinate orientation programs for incoming students.
- Work with staff and administration to identify and support “weak “ students, Counseling on how to develop a good study habit and to have right attitude to learning.
- Exposing the children to life skills.
- This unit basically works with the students and parents to help guide students’ academic, behavioural and social growth.